Guest article provided by: preschoolfredericksburgva.com
As your child becomes more independent and spends more time in the outside world, it is important that you and your child are aware of ways to stay safe. Here are a few tips to help you protect your child:
- Teach your child about emergency situations: Teach your child how to call 911 in case of an emergency. Practice emergency drills with your child so they know what to do in case of a fire, earthquake, or other natural disasters 2.
- Teach your child about road safety: Teach your child to always look both ways before crossing the street and to never run into the street. Teach them to always wear a helmet when riding a bike or scooter 1.
- Teach your child about water safety: Teach your child to swim, but watch them at all times when they are in or around any body of water (this includes kiddie pools). Teach them to always wear a life jacket when boating or swimming in open water 1.
- Teach your child about personal safety: Teach your child that their body is their own and that no one should touch them inappropriately. Teach them the correct names for their body parts and that they have the right to say “no” if someone tries to touch them inappropriately 13.
- Teach your child about stranger danger: Teach your child to be cautious around strangers and to never accept gifts or rides from them. Teach them to always ask for permission before going anywhere with anyone 12.
- Create a safe environment: Ensure that the environment around your child is safe by keeping dangerous objects out of reach, locking up cleaning supplies, and installing smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home 4.
- Encourage good behavior: Encourage good behavior by setting clear boundaries and being consistent when disciplining your child. Help your child develop good language skills by speaking to them in complete sentences and using “grown-up” words. Help them to use the correct words and phrases 1.
I hope these tips help you teach your young children about safety!
About the author Denise Shields: In 2009 Denise started Creative Kids Preschool, a traditional home based preschool located in Fredericksburg, Virginia, where she has enjoyed teaching hundreds of local preschoolers.
In the Spring of 2020, because of the COVID-19 Pandemic, she founded Creative Kids Virtual Preschool and began teaching preschoolers online. Today she continues to share her free preschool online learning lessons with families all across the U.S. and overseas.